The jobsearch

If you are in Australia on a Working Holiday visa you can work for up to three months for an individual employer. After that you must look for another job. This Visa allows you the chance to live and work legally in Australia for up to 12 months. Whether it be as a fruitpicker or manager - there are no restrictions!

In the following excerpt we'll show you various job opportunities that are available & how to prepare for them and we will also give you tips for your job search. Another important thing to remember is to get your own bank account and to apply for a tax file number. Additionally you have the possibility to download an example of an Curriculum Vitae (resume).

You'll be responsible for yourself in Australia. (So far, so good!) You should look for a job yourself as well as organising your own accommodation and successfully managing your own finances and time. To get a job you should be willing to accept any form of employment. You should remain flexible, with a positive (hard working) attitude and give it time. Don't forget to give things a chance. Keep an open mind!!

Have realistic expectations! If your english isn't too good, you might try to work on a farm first. That gives you the chance to get used to your new environment and to the language before starting an internship with a tour operater, for example.

The possibilities:


You should already prepare your job search before you fly to Australia!

If you apply for a job in Australia, then you will need a Resumé/CV (Curriculum Vitae).
Take a few copies of your CV and holds a copy on disk or in your Mailbox. If you want to apply for a job as a waiter, then simply go from Pub to Pub, speak to the Managers and leave a CV. It shows the employer your work experience, your profile and your references. You can download an example of an CV.

MOST Importantly:

If you send your application via post, then you need to write a covering letter.
With the covering letter you introduce yourself to the employer. You show what relevant work experience you have and also that you are professional and keen.

Don't forget:
If possible take references with you. These should be in English! If your (former) employer doesn't want to do it, do it yourself!
Write and translate your own (reference/evaluation)and give it to your employer to sign it.

How to get it on:

The job search is a job on its own...
So you should be professional and persistent. There is more than one way to find a job, so try several!!
Contact 10-20 employers each day and make a list to have an overview.
Definitely, go on your own. Otherwise you divert each other and limit your chances.
A better way is to use your new experiences to give tips and help each other.
Very important: no matter how often they say no… never lose your courage!!!! From phone-call to phone-call you will get better.. from contact to contact you'll lose your fear of contacting an employer.
And once you have a job your new life will begins.

You can choose of the following possibilities:
And.. really important - The word of mouth:
Always inquire! Where is your flatmate working, or the people staying in your hostel. Contact people that have already been in Australia and ask for possible employers.
The good thing is that Aussies are a very friendly race and always keen to help. Yes, sometimes people came to me in order to help as I was looking helplessly into the street map…

Bank Account:

If you have a job you will need a Bank Account. The common Banks in Australia are Commonwealth Bank, Westpac, ANZ and the National Australia Bank. The ANZ Bank offers a bank account attracting no monthly account-keeping fee and 6 free electronic transactions are allowed each month. To open an account you need your passport + a minimum deposit.
ANZ Branch address in Sydney:
ANZ Bank
Corner of York and Market Streets
Sydney NSW


Your work visa alone is not sufficient. As soon as you get to Australia you have to apply for a tax file number. Which is pretty simple. You apply at the Australian Tax Office. After filling out a form you get your first receipt. The correct tax file number is to be sent to you after 21 days. You must indicate the address of your place (a Hostel.)

In Sydney:
100 Market St, Podium level, Sydney
8:30 bis 16:30, Monday to Friday.

Tax declaration:

You get a "payment summary" from each employer after you finished working for them. Collect them.
At the end of the financial year (between July and October; before leaving Australia) you need to do a Tax declaration in order to check that you have paid the correct amount of tax.
As non-Australian resident, you are expected to pay a minimum of 29% tax on each dollar you earn.
The Tax Office (ATO)

What do you need: